Thursday, March 22, 2012


 Canning...

Okay, so this is NOT a very interesting post...it's just for me to remember how I did this!  So, if you aren't really interested in food preservation, surf on!

I bought a 40lb box of ground beef from Zaycon foods (love their fresh meats) and wanted to can some of it.
It's such a simple process.
1) Prepare jars and lids for canning
2)Pack the ground beef tightly in jars leaving 1 inch head space
 

3) Add 1/2 teaspoon salt then put on lids.


4) Put jars in pressure canner and process according to the instructions (11lbs pressure for 75 min).

 Ta-da! The end. I canned 20 lbs of meat in 22 pint jars, almost 1lb per jar. The perfect size for my family.

It was really a simple process and the meat is terrific for casseroles, tacos, and other quick meals!  Just don't look at it too long...it's pretty gross! (hence, no picture!)

No comments: